1979 "10th Anniversary" Trans Am
A Brief History:
In 1979, to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Trans Am, Pontiac created a very special edition. This Trans Am was painted two-tone silver and charcoal, accented by red/silver/charcoal stripes.
Silver dominated the base of the car; with the charcoal covering the roof, most of the hood, a small portion of the door centerline, and bumper accents.
On the hood, the biggest ever bird to be fitted to a T/A was included.
The bird was so large that each wing tip was a separate decal fitted to the fenders. The hood bird, Trans Am lettering, and engine decals followed the general theme of the car being as they were finished in silver/charcoal/red/black.
To distinguish between the Anniversary and standard Trans Ams, new brightly-polished "turbine" aluminum wheels were added specifically to the 10th anniversary edition Trans Am.
Most of these cars had every option, which included: mirrored t-tops, power windows/door locks/remote power trunk opener, and the WS6 Special Performance Package. Either the 403 Olds or the 400 Pontiac engines were available.
The 10th Anniversary's base price was $10,620.00, which was quite a bit for 1979 standards. Although Pontiac produced 7,500 of the tenth anniversary cars, a handful of cars were prepared/optioned as pace cars on the NASCAR circuit.
The 10th Anniversary Trans Ams that sported the Daytona 500 decal package are the most collectable of all 10th Anniversary Trans Ams.
* Total Production: 7,500
* L-78 (T/A 6.6) 400 cid w/ Manual Transmission: 1,817
* 403 cid w/ Auto Transmission: 5,683
* Body & Frame Construction: Unitized, front subframe
* Curb Weight: 3,700 lb.
* Weight Distribution F/R: 57.6% / 42.4%
* Length: 197.1 in.
* Width: 73.0 in.
* Height: 49.3 in.
* Wheelbase: 108.2 in.
* Double A-arm, heavy duty coil springs
* Swaybar Size: 1.25 in.
* Struts: Heavy duty hydraulic tube
* Semi Elliptic leaves
* Swaybar Size: .750 in.
* Shocks: Heavy duty hydraulic tube
* Type: Constant quick ratio, power-assisted
* Ratio: 14:1
* Turns: lock-to-lock 2.41
* 0-60 Mph: n/a
* 1/4 Mile Speed: 15.3 @ 96.6 mph
* Top Speed: 124 mph
* Braking 60-0 mph: 179 ft.
* Skid Pad: 0.91 g
* Front engine, Rear wheel drive sport coupe
* Engine Type: Cast iron OHV V8
* Displacement: 400 cid.
* Bore/stroke: 4.12 x 3.75 in.
* Induction: 1 4-bbl carburetor
* Cylinder Heads: Cast-iron w/ 2.11/1.66 valves
* Compression Ratio: 8.1:1
* Camshaft: Hydraulic w/ 274*/298* duration 364/.364 in. lift
* Ignition Type: HEI distributor
* Exhaust: Single with catalytic converter, dual rear outlets
* Horsepower: 220 @ 4000 rpm
* Torque: 320 ft. lbs. @ 2800 rpm
* Transmission: Borg warner super T-10 4-speed
* Clutch: 11-in. disc w/ 2600# pressure plate
* Transmission Ratios: 2.43/1.61/1.23/1.00
* Shifter: Hurst, floor mounted
* Rear Differential: 3.23:1, Safe-T-track
* Single piston power-assisted 11.0" ventilated disc
* Single piston power-assisted disc
* Wheel Size: 15" x 8" 'Turbo' alloy
* Tire Size: 225/70R-15" Goodyear polysteel radial